Candidate for Emery Unified School District Governing Board
* I served on the Emeryville City Council for 24 years.
* I was the council member responsible for merging our city fire department with Alameda County Fire Department. As a result, the city saves over a million dollars each year, and the consolidation provides more equipment, and more personnel to do the job.
* We should examine the feasibility of merging the Emery School District with another district. To maintain a separate district for such a small number of kids must be impacting the amount of available funds the district has for programs and services.
* Many parents are paying to send their kids outside the district when they would potentially send them to our school. As a result, the district is importing students from outside the district. This means those parents have no voice in electing members to serve on the school board.
* I believe the school board needs to open more dialogue with parents and teachers. I propose the creation of a live broadcast event to discuss issues in the schools, including an opportunity for parents to call in during the broadcast.
* Co-founder of City-School Committee (regular joint meetings of the City Council and School District Board).
* Co-founder of Emeryville Child Development Center
* Founder of the Emeryville Chamber of Commerce.